Want to see My Best Stock Ideas for 2020? Learn More.
This is what Steve Jobs said to Pepsi executive John Sculley, convincing him to join Apple at the time (1983):
“Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?”
It’s the truth.
I ❤️ new tech & software. Innovation is exciting, and makes my life better / easier / more fun. Drinking more soda-pop, though, just makes me fatter 😛
We all know about the FAANG (U.S.), and BAT (China) Tech Superstocks, but what about Canada? We’re often overlooked, and that would be a mistake…
Canada, and Canadians (+ abroad) have been pioneers of some of the world’s most important technological innovations ever throughout history:
– Electric Lightbulb; Henry Woodward (1874)
– Telephone; Alexander Graham Bell (1876)
– Telephone Handset; Cyrille Duquet (1878)
– Electric Car Heater, and Oven; Thomas Ahearn (1892)
– Wireless Radio; Reginald A. Fessenden (1900)
– Medicinal Insulin; Frederick Banting, Charles Best and James Collip (1922)
– Snowblower; Arthur Sicard (1925)
– Television Camera; F.C.P. Henroteau (1934)
– Snowmobile; Joseph-Armand Bombardier (1937)
– Walkie-talkie; Donald L. Hings and Alfred J. Gross (1937)
– Anti-gravity Suit; Wilbur Rounding Franks (1940)
– Pager; Alfred J. Gross (1949)
– Cardiac Pacemaker; John Hopps (1950)
– Computer Trackball; Tom Cranston (1952)
– Electric Wheelchair; George Klein (1953)
– Alkaline Battery; Lewis Urry (1954)
– Instant Replay; George Retzlaff (1955)
– IMAX; Graeme Ferguson, Roman Kroitor, and Robert Kerr (1967)
– Prosthetic Hand; Helmut Lucas (1971)
– Canadarm; George Klein, and others (1981)
– Archie (first search engine); Alan Emtage, Bill Heelan, J. Peter Deutsch (1988)
– Java Programming Language; James Gosling (1991)
– 56k Modem; Dr. Brent Townshend (1996)
– BlackBerry Smartphone/Messaging; Mike Lazaridis (1996)
Where would the world be without these inventors, and their inventions?
Life would suck..
But wait… I haven’t even mentioned the Canadians behind some of today’s biggest tech companies in the world:
– Uber; Garrett Camp
– Slack Technologies; Stewart Butterfield
– Alibaba; Joseph Tsai
I’m not making this up. Honest.
But I’ll admit; Canada has also had some of the biggest public stock blow-ups in the technology sector; Nortel, and BlackBerry among the most notable in recent history. Lots of tears 😢 + broken hearts 💔. However, that shouldn’t scare you. It’s the nature of innovation. “Innovate or die“, as the saying goes. So let’s focus on the Canadian technology & software companies that are building big things today ,and into the future.
I’ve curated my favourite Canadian Technology & Software Superstocks (see below), most of which originally appeared in my list of “Capital Compounders” (est. 2017). You won’t find any Canadian tech/software micro-capcompanies in this list, but you will if you join Patreon. There’s already 150+ members who have access to the Future 60 MicroCaps that I track and update (> 70% are technology/software stocks), and you can also download my new research report on Lighstspeed POS (LSPD) from Patreon.
Here they are…
Canada’s Technology & Software Superstocks:
|Company||Ticker||Market Cap||YTD Return|
*Ceridian HCM (CDAY) is a U.S. company, but is also listed in Canada (TSX), and has significant Canadian influence
/// Challenge: can you come up with an acronym ala “FAANG” / “BAT” based on this list of Canadian Technology & Software Superstocks?